Thursday 30 January 2014

A "Mathematial Revolution"

The organization YouCubed aims to revolutionize the way mathematics education is taught through free content and tips for teachers and parents.  My favourite part of this website was the focus on how we can change the way our students think and feel about mathematics.

Mathematical Empowerment > Mathematical Failure

The section that stood out for me the most was "Unlocking Children's Math Potential".  So many attitudes about math that I recognize in myself and my past classmates were highlighted.  Some of the concepts that really resonated with me are:

 1. Mathematics as a "gift"
  •   It is so easy to believe that some have the natural ability to be successful in math while others do not and will not ever achieve what the "gifted" students do.  I experienced this in grades 5-8 when I attended a school for "gifted" students.  I could not calculate many of the same problems as fast as my peers, and for the longest time I believed that because I didn't have the gift of math that I was probably selected for that program accidentally.
2. Fixed vs. Growth mindset
  • Mindset is the students' idea about their own abilities and potentials.  Many students with a "fixed" mindset believe that their abilities are static, and that if they are unsuccessful in a task the first time it isn't "meant to be" because they don't have the ability to complete it.  Students who persist and learn from their mistakes have a "growth" mindset.  Something that surprised me was that even high achievers (according to the article it is mainly high-achieving girls) have a fixed mindset.  I think this is because I usually relate the fixed mindset to students who don't attempt any task beyond what they are easily capable of (I used to be one of these students!).
3.  The relationship between speed and mathematical calculations
  • In my background with math speedy calculating was always something that was valued, and it is one of the reasons why I disliked math.  Research now shows that expecting speed from students in mathematics is actually counter-productive and does not show the true potential of the student (in fact, stress from timed tests causes a block in the working memory where math facts are stored).  I wish they would have known this 15 years ago!
4.  The teacher's attitude is essential to how the students view themselves in mathematics
  • This point is pretty obvious but I think that educators should be reminded about it often.  Young students are so impressionable and we can't allow any of our negative feelings about any subject affect our students.
After browsing this site I feel like I am not alone in my math experiences, and I definitely feel more empowered to teach mathematics in the way that is the most beneficial to my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment